Saturday, August 12, 2006

full of air

Wow. So I this is the first weekend to relax at home in a month. I like it. Last week at this time I was just waking up after a night of socializing with classmates. It is really nice to be at home. Last night Tonaya invited Erica over. We were planning pizza and movie at home. We saw "Inside Man", it was pretty good.
Last Thursday night, Tonaya and I went to my first sleep study meeting. I definately have sleep apnea. The first meeting was a question and answer session with a video, and a one on one with a pulmonary nurse. It was really informative. There are 3 ways of treating sleep apnea. The most successful is using the oxygen machine. It creates positive air flow in your traechea. Since the muscles in your jaw and tongue relax, this machine forces air into your nose and then to the airway. There are 14 different types of masks you can choose from. The positive air machine is the size of a small alarm clock. Everything goes in a travel bag the size of a large purse. It is also AC/DC for camping.
In the 5 stages of sleep, REM sleep is the most important. When you can't complete all stages of falling asleep, you wake up exhausted. Your mind knows when you are not getting enough oxygen. So it wakes you up, not all the way, but just enough to jolt your body. Hence not falling into REM sleep.
So the next session is an actual sleep study at the hospital. They will hook me up with electrodes and monitor me while I sleep. Half way through the night they when they see I am not getting enough oxygen, they will come in and hook me up the oxygen machine. There is a huge success rate,

No comments: